Thursday, April 8, 2010

April Q&E Kaizen 4/8/2010: Is your mechanic telling the truth?

Knowledge is power.  How do you know if it's time to change the transmission fluid or do you take the word of your car guy?  Here's an easy way to check the all the fluid conditions yourself and to see if they really need to be changed!

Before:  I didn't really know what car fluids were dirty except the motor oil because I didn't have access to a reference of new clean fluids.  I was at the mercy of the mechanic because I wasn't sure about the fluid condition.

After:  I made myself five reference vials of new radiator coolant, transmission oil, power sterring fluid, brake fluid, and motor oil.  Now I can compare the condition of the fluids in the car to see if maintenance is needed and they are in the garage next to the car for easy access.











Benefits:


No more guessing-I know what new fluid should look like and can compare fluid in cars



Easy access to vials for comparison



Improved quality and better preventive maintenance decisions (along with following the maintenance schedule of the drivers manual)


What have you improved today?

Dan Lafever, Kaizeneer

No comments: