Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Quick and Easy Kaizens-#2 CPAP position

Quick and Easy Kaizen is an improvement that you can easily do for yourself that improves a process by improving quality, saving time, and so forth. The book, The Idea Generator, by Norm Bodek addresses quick and easy Kaizen and I have been practicing this technique at work for some time. Using the ideas from Norm's book, I have added improvements at home and here are some that have made my life better but didn't require that much time and effort to implement.

#2 CPAP machine Q&E Kaizen


Before: My CPAP machine that I wear at night to prevent sleep apnea was always getting in the way of my seeing the clock. The hoses and straps always blocked my view of the time and I had to raise up and move stuff out of the way to see-it was a hassle when I was half asleep. See the picture below:

















After: I simply turned the CPAP machine 90 degrees and it was easier to see the clock and easier to take the mask and hose off and lay it on top of the machine. See below:
















The effect: Now it's much easier to read the clock at night and nothing is blocking my view. I sleep sounder because I don't have wake up and sit up to read the clock. Also, it's easier to lay the mask down on top in the morning.

Time to complete: 30 seconds

So simple yet I had to think about making it better. What have you improved today?


Dan Lafever

Kaizeneer

No comments: