Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Quick and Easy Kaizen #10 - Bank account nicknames

Quick and Easy Kaizen is an improvement that you can easily do for yourself that improves a process by improving quality, saving time, and so forth. The book, The Idea Generator, by Norm Bodek addresses quick and easy Kaizen and I have been practicing this technique at work for some time. Using the ideas from Norm's book, I have added improvements at home and here are some that have made my life better but didn't require that much time and effort to implement.

#10 - Bank account nicknames

We have several bank accounts under our families names and before nicknaming them, it was hard to remember which belonged to whom. The only way I could know for sure is to open each account and look at the deposits because our kids each work for different organizations. Then I dicovered the easy way with online banking to rename them for each child. Man, what a nice feature when you have four kids and I made points with my wife. Nice.


Before: Bank account numbers were confusing, time lost due to sorting.

After: Nicknamed online accounts with each person's name for easier identification.

Benefit: Faster processing, less searching, time saved and reduced mistakes when transferring money around.

What have you improved today?

Dan Lafever
Kaizeneer

No comments: